Radiation therapy is used in the treatment of cancer. The type of radiation therapy or treatment plan depends on the type and location on the cancer. Certain levels of radiation work to destroy cancer cells or prevent cells from growing and reproducing.
Depending upon your cancer, our physicians work with a multi-disciplinary team including medical oncologists and surgeons to customize a plan that is best suited for you or your diagnosis. Methodist Richardson Radiation Oncology Associates provides patients access to several kinds of radiation oncology options.
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) uses a cone beam CT and x-rays attached to the Varian linear accelerator to position the patient using internal anatomy to ensure the radiation is precisely targeted.
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) is a technique of shaping the beams during treatment to reduce the amount of high dose radiation received by healthy tissue.
- Stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) is a method of delivering high doses of targeted radiation to brain tumors.
- Stereotactic body radiosurgery (SBRT) delivers high dose per treatment radiation to tumors of the lung, spine, and prostate. Patients can finish their therapy in as few as three treatments.
- High-Dose-Rate (HDR) breast brachytherapy allows women to complete radiation treatment in five days as opposed to six to eight weeks for conventional therapy. When cancer is found early, this treatment method can be used following a lumpectomy to help keep cancer from coming back. Since this therapy focuses radiation directly on the area where the cancer is most likely to recur, it minimizes the amount of radiation delivered to other healthy tissues.
To ensure you have a full continuum of care from diagnosis through treatment and recovery, we coordinate with other services offered at Methodist Richardson Cancer Center.
- Medical, surgical, and radiation oncology
- Multidisciplinary Tumor Board and Breast Cancer Conferences
- Certified genetic counselor
- Licensed nutritionist
- PET/CT, MRI, and Breast MRI
- Integrative therapies
- Prevention and cancer screening programs
- Support groups and patient resource center
- Patient navigator who is a certified breast care nurse
Read our patient testimonials to learn more about the level of care at Methodist Richardson Radiation Oncology Associates.
Take a virtual tour of Methodist Richardson Cancer Center
Learn more about Methodist Richardson Cancer Center